The story behind the name

I have always loved sea glass because of the beautiful green, blue and brown hues that are made even more breathtaking when they are tossed in the water. I am also drawn to pretty glass bottles, especially those with unique shapes, textures or stories. When we purchased our land, it had lot of garbage where our driveway now sits. Included in this garbage were lots of glass bottles in all different shapes, sizes and colors. As unappealing as this may sound, there have been many beautiful and unique glass bottles found at the property. While we obviously do not want to drive on a green glass road, the road itself was only made possible after lots of green glass was recovered. So therin lies the story behind the name of the Adventures at Green Glass Road.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Lights-check, raingarden-check, countertops-yes!

Well folks, I think we are getting close to the homestretch, but because I can be superstitious about those kinds of things, I am not going to count any chickens before they are hatched.

That being said, it was a productive week. Gutters and downspouts are now up at the house, the grass seed is down with straw over it, the final grading is complete, the raingarden has compost and mulch, the master bath surround is complete, the lights all work, the countertops are in and the range hood is up (although the extension piece will still need to be made and hung on a rainy day :). Whew, a run-on sentence, indeed, but how else can one person say all that in one breath? Two of the dining room lights are also on backorder, so you can stop worrying that we are going to try and start some new trend with one pendant light flanked by two exposed incandescent bulbs.

Yes, my countertops are laminate for all of you who have been wondering what we were going to do (Arborite, Black Grit). Originally, I had planned on going with a leathered black granite, because I like the look of soapstone but I don't think I could live with the patina. In the end, I realized that although the feel of natural stone is far superior to any laminate in my mind, my laminate counters have always been very functional, easy to care for, and a good value for the money. Keith, Ronnie and Craig built them out of plywood and then applied the sheet material to the top themselves. They did a very nice job and I think it looks great.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog